Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

When did the new laws go into effect?

California adult-use sales started on January 1, 2018.

Will Delivery and Pick-up be available in 2018?

Yes. There will be no change in our  pickup and delivery services.

Do I need a Doctor’s Recommendation to buy Cannabis?

No. You only need a government-issued identification card showing that you are 21 years old or over.

Do I need to be a member of a collective or a club to buy Cannabis?


Can I purchase Cannabis Anonymously? Will my name be on a Government List?

In 2018, state laws will limit the quantity of cannabis a person can buy per day. Because of this, Alternatives is required to scan your ID card. Your personal information will NOT be stored ANYWHERE. Alternatives takes privacy very seriously.

Will new taxes lead to higher prices?

Yes. With the legalization of adult-use cannabis, the city and the state will increase taxes on cannabis sales at all California dispensaries and delivery services. The specific tax increases depends on your city. These tax increases started January 1, 2018.

If you would like to learn more about California Adult-Use Cannabis taxes, please visit California Department of Tax and Fee Administration website

What is the daily limit that I can buy in 2018?

State law limits adults to purchase one ounce (28.5 grams) of non-concentrated cannabis (flower), eight (8) grams of concentrated cannabis, and six (6) clones (immature plants) per day.

Are there new potency and dosage limits to edibles in 2018?

Yes. For adult-use sales, no single edible package can contain more than 100mg of THC. Edible products must also contain no more than 10mg THC per serving.

Will Alternatives continue to stock all the Brands and Products it currently offers?

Alternatives prides itself on the quality and size of its menu of products. We will continue to offer you the best quality cannabis products at the best price. However, licensing and regulatory issues may limit selection in some cases, especially in early 2018.

Am I allowed to consume Cannabis in public?

No. Most public spaces prohibit smoking or vaping cannabis products. This includes Alternatives’ parking lot.

Will all products need to be in child-proof containers in 2018?

Not right away, although we will probably see child-resistant packaging guidelines for individual products roll out throughout 2018. Current regulations require dispensaries to provide child-resistant, re-sealable “exit bags” for customers. At home, it is important to keep your cannabis in a safe spot away from children and pets.

Will Alternatives be selling Medical Cannabis Products to Patients in 2018?

Alternatives will continue to serve medical patients, however, we will not be able to sell quantities in excess of one ounce of non-concentrated cannabis (flower) or eight grams of concentrated cannabis.

How much Cannabis am I allowed to carry with me?

You can carry one ounce of non-concentrated cannabis (flower) and eight grams of concentrated cannabis.

How much Cannabis am I allowed to gift someone?

You can gift one ounce of non-concentrated cannabis (flower) and eight grams of concentrated cannabis at one time.

Is there any change to the driving laws in 2018?

No. Driving under the influence of cannabis is illegal and dangerous.

Are there any other references I should be aware of?

Let’s Talk Cannabis (California Dept. of Public Health)
Senate Bill No. 94, Sess of 2017
California Business and Profession Code 26001
California Health and Safety Code Section 11362.715